Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu announced that the Afghanistan conference, which was planned to start on April 24 in Istanbul, was postponed until after the month of Ramadan.
Çavuşoğlu made evaluations by answering questions about the agenda in the program he attended in Habertürk.
Concerning Afghanistan, Çavuşoğlu stated that with the US decision to withdraw from NATO’s Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan, the processes regarding the negotiations between Afghans and the agreement signed between the USA and the Taliban in Doha last year entered a sensitive period.
Noting that the mission will disappear with the withdrawal of the United States, Çavuşoğlu said, “Negotiations are continuing on a decision in NATO. Within the framework of this decision, we are trying to outline how we can support Afghanistan as NATO allies after the Resolute Support Mission is over.”
Stating that the parties in Afghanistan should agree on a permanent ceasefire and determine a political road map in order to avoid the need for a new mission, Çavuşoğlu stated that negotiations between Afghans started in Doha and thanked Qatar for its contributions.
Turkey’s meeting host to the arrival of the request for transfer Cavusoglu, meeting essentially stating that an effort to make before 1 May, “The reason that the United States, according to the agreement made with the Taliban would be totally withdrawn as of 1 May. The conference in Turkey Everyone thought they could reach an understanding, but it is not an easy process, “he said.
Stating that there is no need to hurry after the USA’s decision to withdraw, Çavuşoğlu shared the information that “We have seen that it will be useful to postpone the establishment and preparation of the delegations. We held consultations with Qatar, the USA and the United Nations. We decided to postpone it after Ramadan, after the holiday”.
Noting that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will open the conference and that 21 countries, as well as 3 international organizations and two parties from Afghanistan will attend, Çavuşoğlu said, “The conference will not be meaningful unless the Taliban participate. At the moment, we decided to postpone the formation of delegations and since there is no clarity about the participation yet. We decided together by the consultation. the aim here is not to start an alternative process in Doha, unless to contribute. the hosts of the meeting in Istanbul, Turkey, Qatar and the UN will do together, “he said.
Regarding the “president” election prepared by the Syrian regime, Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu said, “The election made by the regime on its own will not be legitimate and nobody will recognize this election.”
Pointing out that the regime does not want a political solution, Çavuşoğlu stated that the regime should see that there will be no military solution and that it should attach importance to the political process.
Çavuşoğlu pointed out that only an election after that would be legitimate and underlined that legal regulations should be made and records should be arranged.
Minister Çavuşoğlu said, “Supporting an illegitimate election contradicts our principles.”